As the year draws to a close, I often find myself reminiscing about the events of the past year. And what a year it has been at STOP THE TRAFFIK!
You are part of a rapidly growing global movement of people who are passionate about ending the buying and selling of people. This powerful movement has gone from strength to strength throughout 2014 and our cry for justice has been heard loud and clear in so many ways.
Our network has expanded- we now have leadership in Australia, the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, India, Brazil, USA, Belgium and Canada, as well as thousands of activists in over 70 countries who are creatively taking action in their own lives and through their communities to STOP human trafficking. Check out some of the 2014 highlights,
2014 STOP THE TRAFFIK Highlights
- The launch of two new global campaigns! Fashion and Tea lovers around the world are now taking action to STOP THE TRAFFIK
- Tens of thousands of people have discovered how they can prevent trafficking at the GIFT box which hit the streets across Brazil, United Kingdom, USA and Slovakia
- STOP THE TRAFFIK has led the debate around the inclusion of “supply chains” in the proposed UK Modern Slavery Bill
- Creative awareness-raising events have taken place all over the world – Freedom Relays, Art Auctions, Clothes Swaps, Flash mobs, Film nights, Marathons to name just a few!
- Hundreds of teachers, faith leaders, police officers and social workers have been trained to spot the signs of trafficking in their community
- Over 1000 churches took part in Freedom Sunday – a day of pray and action against trafficking
- Chain Checker went live! Businesses now have a simple tool to help them become traffik-free
- Earlier this month Irene Rosenfeld (CEO, Mondelez) received a giant Christmas gift containing messages from thousands of activists calling for Traffik Free Chocolate
As we look ahead to the possibilities of 2015, STOP THE TRAFFIK will continue to pioneer ground-breaking ways for ordinary people like you and me to take action. Watch out for new ideas and exciting new tools for everyone to use. We must make it easy to gather information, share what we know and work locally across the globe to prevent this grievous crime. We want to see our movement extend its reach and make it possible for every person in every country to shout STOP.
Give a gift to STOP THE TRAFFIK – Help us shine a light in dark places. There are people all over the world who are vulnerable to the trafficker’s trade. Help us to create communities where the vulnerable are safe and the traffickers find it impossible to operate. >> Donate now www.stopthetraffik.org/donate
We look forward to taking action with you in the New Year.
Happy New Year from all at STOP THE TRAFFIK